Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hiding in the Shadows

Hiding in the Shadows by Kay Hooper

Accident victim Faith Parker has done what her doctors feared she never would: awakened from the coma that held her prisoner for weeks. But she has no memory of the crash that nearly killed her--or the life that led up to it. Nor does she remember journalist Dinah Leighton, the steadfast friend who visited her in the hospital...until she disappeared without a trace. Now as Faith begins to regain her strength, she's shocked by intimate dreams of a man she doesn't recognize and tortured by visions of violence that feel painfully real. Something inexplicable ties her lost memories to Dinah's chilling fate. But even as Faith tries to understand the connection and reach out to save Dinah, death is stalking both women. And one of them will not escape its lethal grasp.
--Hiding in the Shadows by Kay Hooper, Published 2000 by Bantam Books. Audio book produced by Recorded Books.


My Summary
A take-off on the “accident victim has amnesia” theme, Hiding in the Shadows takes the tried-and-true, twists it, stands it on its end and produces and ending unlike any I’ve read.

The victim of a single-car accident, where drugs and alcohol were presumed to be the cause, Faith Parker awakens from a six-week coma with no memory of the accident, or who she was before the accident. She is eventually released from the hospital to resume her life. Problem is, with no memory, she has no idea what that life was…except…since awakening, she’s been having deep, intimate dreams of a man and recollections of pain and torture that are frighteningly real.

When she sees the man of her dreams on television, pleading for information about his missing fiancĂ©e, reporter Dinah Leighton, she goes to see him and learns of her own connection to Dinah. Now Faith, Kane and Kane’s friend Noah Bishop (you knew he had to show up somewhere!) have to dig into the story Dinah was working on to find out who would want her killed, and why. Faith must also figure out why she appears to be taking on more and more of Dinah’s mannerisms, why she has memories of Dinah and Kane that she simply shouldn’t, and whether or not she can hold on to her sanity long enough to resolve the mystery.


My Review

To me, this story stands out in the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series because it’s not your straightforward murder mystery. The police and FBI are involved, of course, but they’re not the ones working to solve the mystery. It’s mostly Kane and Faith, with help from the police and Bishop. In the other stories, the police and FBI Agents take a more direct role in solving the case. It’s also different because…well, without giving away the ending, it’s different because of how it ends. ‘Nuff said!

I give this story FOUR STARS.




On a side note, it will be some time before I publish my review of I Never Fancied Him Anyway. I am reading it, but as of March 1, I will be involved in an intense one-month training session for a new job. I'm doing as much pre-studying as I can before March 1, so I have precious little free time for leisure reading. Audio book reviews will continue because I will listen to them as I commute to and from training. I'll publish my review of I Never Fancied Him Anyway as soon as I can.

No comments: