Monday, August 9, 2010

One Shot

One Shot by Lee Child

Six shots. Five dead. One heartland city thrown into a state of terror. But within hours the cops have it solved: a slam-dunk case. Except for one thing. The accused man says: You got the wrong guy. Then he says: Get Reacher for me.

And sure enough, ex—military investigator Jack Reacher is coming. He knows this shooter–a trained military sniper who never should have missed a shot. Reacher is certain something is not right–and soon the slam-dunk case explodes.

Now Reacher is teamed with a beautiful young defense lawyer, moving closer to the unseen enemy who is pulling the strings. Reacher knows that no two opponents are created equal. This one has come to the heartland from his own kind of hell. And Reacher knows that the only way to take him down is to match his ruthlessness and cunning–and then beat him shot for shot.
--One Shot by Lee Child, Copyright ©2005 by Lee Child, published by Bantam Dell

My Review

I have a new hero. His name is Reacher.

Within the last couple weeks, Borders Books came out with their own e-reader software and as a “thank you” for downloading their software, I got to choose a free e-book from a list of available titles (check out their web site…the offer might still be available). I’d heard of Lee Child and his Reacher series but never had a chance to read any of his books. I saw this as my chance to read one for free so I downloaded the software and chose One Shot, the ninth book in the Reacher series.

(Yes, yes, I know I could have easily checked his books out from the library at any time. I’m female…I’m supposed to be contrary.)

I wasn’t so sure I liked Child’s writing style at first. It seemed very quick, almost as if he were rushing to get through the opening out of the way so he could get to the rest of the story (like you might skim through a prologue to get to Chapter 1). As I continued to read though, either the pace slowed down or I got used to it (likely the latter) and I really got into the story.

A man walks into an empty parking garage on a Friday evening and, with his sniper rifle, calmly shoots five people, then disappears before the police can even be called. The evidence left behind on the scene is collected, analyzed, and just six hours later, the gunman, James Barr, is arrested. A slam-dunk case.

Except…the man arrested says he didn’t do it and makes one request. “Get Jack Reacher for me.” The defense team starts looking, but Jack Reacher is no where to be found. He doesn’t have an address, a telephone number, doesn’t file taxes or own a car. How can they find someone that doesn’t seem to exist?

But Reacher does exist, and he’s already on his way. And when he arrives, he stuns Barr’s sister by declaring he’s not there to help James. He’s there to bury him.

Only…as Reacher reviews the evidence, he begins to find problems. Little things that no one else seems to notice or question. But Reacher notices. And as he digs deeper he comes to the conclusion that Barr indeed didn’t do it.

But if he didn’t, who did? And why did they do it? And why are they framing Barr? What’s the purpose behind the assassination of five innocent, unrelated individuals?

These are the questions Reacher must answer, before he becomes the next victim.


An awesome story, excellently plotted and very well written. If you like complicated, seeming unsolvable mysteries and haven’t tried any of the Jack Reacher novels, well, what are you waiting for? I have a few more books in my “to be read queue,” but rest assured I will be lining up the Jack Reacher novels and will begin reading the first in the series very soon.

I give this story FOUR STARS.


1 comment:

Michelle Massaro said...

Sounds like another good read! (Do you ever find a book you don't like? A dud?)

:o)